August 27, 2017
The miles are starting to build up on us, last week I ran enough miles to make my legs double think their strength, but after this routine, I felt like a whole new person. Taking proper care of yourself during this journey is very crucial not just to your physical health, but your mind. We are building and pushing our bodies to their limit, especially as we build miles on our training. This routine is what I do before going to bed after a long run.
Every Sunday night before bed, I make sure that I do these 5 things:
- Epsom salt bath and bubble bath-
- I specifically use Dr. Teal’s Soothe & Sleep- Lavender because lavender is supposed to be a soothing scent and used before bed. Filling my tub with hot water, I add 2 cups of the Epsom salt and then allow the salt the dissolve before doing a 20-minute soak. My body really feels so much better after, my muscles are relaxed and feel gelatinous. Just utterly relaxed.
- I also add in Foaming Bubble Bath because, why not? If I’m going to take the time to do an entire body soak might as well add bubbles.
- Face Mask-
- Oh my goodness, after a week of running, working out, running after kids, and just living life our faces need a little cleansing love. I make sure to use my face cleanser and then this Green Tea Wash-Off Mask while I soak in my bath. It says to only have the mask on for 10- 15 minutes, but 5 more minutes can’t hurt too much, right?
- As soon as this mask touches my face I can feel the refreshing feel of it working into my skin. There’s just a burst of freshness as it just sits on my face. My husband says I look like a green monster when I do this.
- While I’m sitting there just allowing my body to soak, and my face to get cleaned, the stress just melts away into nothingness and I can clearly think about all the wonderful events that are happening or just allow my mind to wander into creative thoughts about my Temperature Blanket, 2018 Financial Goals, gifts to buy for Christmas season (and stay in budget), and quite a few other things.
- I love listening to stories as well. Even though I really want to clear my mind of all the jumble of life, just laying there listening to Audible will help clear my mind. Right now I’m listening to the Unabridged Peter Pan read by Lily Collins, it is a great story that just takes me to another world. Even though I only listen in 20-minute increments I am able to keep up with the story.
- Sleep is one of those important things that we must all experience, otherwise, we become crazy people that randomly start crying at our husband, wait. . . .that might be just me. I don’t know about all of you but I really need my sleep, 10 hours would be wonderful. Looking at my Fitbit it seems that 7.5 hours is actually what I get each night. During the Federal Open Enrollment (October 15- December 7) it’s looking like I might be getting much less sleep. When you get more sleep after a run it is your body recovering and strengthening itself for your next run.
Start adopting a routine after a long run so that you can recover nicely. Mix and match what works for you, because what works for me will not necessarily work for you. I know some runners that will give themselves an ice bath or will binge on some full body massage. Would love some recommendations in the comments.
See you on the other side!